The NDP 2009 Logo depicts a stylised hand reaching out to Singaporeans of different backgrounds, connecting us all as one united people. A motif of the heart on the palm of the hand embodies our compassion and care for our citizens.
The five stars forming the fingers symbolise democracy, peace, progress, justice and equality in vibrant colours reflecting our nation's diversity. Reaching up in celebration of our progress as a nation, the shooting stars represent our hope for a better future.
Come Together - Reaching Out - Reaching Up
- Our National Day belongs to all of us, it is our nation's birthday. It is as much a time for reflection as it is for commemorating our independence. And there is much that we should celebrate and be proud of. We have weathered many difficult moments in our short history, and indeed, our very independence was gained amidst turbulent times.
- Yet despite it all, we have survived and thrived, and made this place our home. This is a testimony of the spirit and character of all Singaporeans. Today, even though we are facing uncertainty, there is little doubt that we as one nation will rise above these challenges as we have done so many times before.
- And this is what our National Day is about - what does Singapore mean to you? What does it mean to be a Singaporean? Using Our Pledge as the anchoring idea, our theme draws inspiration from the words crafted by our leaders shortly after our independence.
- Come Together - Reaching Out - Reaching Up is a celebration of our nationhood, and of what it means to be Singaporean. It is about unity. It is about looking beyond today and moving forward together with hope and confidence.
- Come Together is about a vision that is embodied in our Pledge. We, the citizens of Singapore pledge ourselves as one united people. It is about our community, our friends, and our families.
- Reaching Out calls on all Singaporeans to support one another regardless of race, language or religion. No Singaporean should be left behind because of their social, economic or education status. It is about care. It is about compassion. It is by reaching out that we come together, and it is by coming together that we are able to reach up.
- Reaching Up reminds us of our hopes and aspirations for ourselves and our children. Our Singapore was built on these. There is so much more to look forward to, and together, we must continue to strive so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and progress for our nation.