03 June 2007

SAHM for 12 days

As you can see from the title, I'm gonna be a SAHM for few days.

Hurray!! I can take a break from my work and stay at home finally. The sad thing is not for long of course, only 12 days in total. Domestic helpers also need a break let alone my mum. I seriously think she needs some well-deserved rest. She went home on Vesak Day Eve leaving only me and Wenz.

The thot of SAHM was wonderful but not everything turned out fine for me. My ideal SAHM is someone who is capable of handling EVERYTHING in the house, keeping all chores done and all meals nicely cooked. I wanted very much to do a good job as an SAHM without anyone around to help out i.e. doing the house chores, tending and cooking healthy meals for my darling princess, whipping up something nice for hubby as well etc.. Moreover I wasn't feeling well when I took over the task as a SAHM but I told myself no excuses.

To cook for darling princess is definitely no problem as I have been doing that during weekends. To do house chores in the house is also not a problem to me as I can make a good domestic helper. BUT to whip up something nice for hubby is a great problem to me. WHY???

It has been 2 years since I last cooked for hubby when our lives were without kid then and when my mum has yet to come and stay with us. It was until this point of time till I realised I have outsourced so many tasks to my mum esp the cooking bit and overly relied on people around me to do things for me or did I take advantage of them and the whole situation??

Anyway, it didn't dampen my spirit and determination to attempt cooking after the long break.

1st day - Vesak Day Eve (Wed).....feeling unwell as having sore throat
I didn't cook anything as mum has already prepared nice meal for the whole family. What I need to do was merely tending to the needs of my 2 darlings.

2nd day - Vesak Day (Thur).....felt lousy bcos of the burnt porridge. Who can be more stupid than me??
I cooked porridge for myself and didn't watch the fire while I feed Wenz. What happen next??? I got burnt porridge but I ate the unburnt portion of course.

As hubby will be working night tmr so I was all out wanted to cook a meal for him tmr. I went to get some groceries with Wenz. After the burnt porridge incident, my confidence level has shaken a bit.

3rd Day - Friday.....Still having sore throat plus cough
It was as if mum has great foresight, she called up and said she had cooked some dishes for me. She knows our routine so well that my hubby will definitely eat his dinner at home before going to work so she had my dad to deliver the 'tingkat' to me. What I need to do was only to cook rice. Dad asked if I know how to steam rice and I purposely put up a brave front and answered, "What's so difficult about it??"

Every time if mum cooks, she will cook big portion. The tingkat she asked to send contained a lot of food enuf for 3 -4 persons. I decided to steam only a portion of rice sufficient for hubby. I know the method of cooking rice using rice cooker but to use steaming method, I dun really know cos have never tried before but I went ahead and tried out.

The rice turned out too soggy. Hubby said the rice tasted like porridge without the liquid *_* but the dishes were nice. He thot I cooked it as I didn't tell him. Later then I told him the dishes were prepared by my mum then he commented: "No wonder I was thinking how can ur cooking skill improved so much??" *Felt a punch on my face*

4th Day - Saturday
It was hubby's off day and this time round no phone call from mum. I woke up early to brew yummy soup and get ready the ingredients for tonight's dinner. My intention was to prepare a meal with 3 dishes and 1 soup. I was enthusiastic the moment I thot of it. The feeling was like as if we were in courtship. *blush*

I waited for the time to be right before cooking as I dun wanna prepare something that needs reheating. No pics to show cos the moment I finished cooking I knew hubby wun enjoy eating it but still I present the dishes nicely on his plate.

I made a mistake twice. I dun think I can find someone as dumb as me. The rice that I steamed this time round turned out to be soggy AGAIN. Haiz.......how can I be so stupid!!!!

The dishes looked AWFUL but edible loh. You can't really tell difference between sambal and black pepper cos both has the same color....got it??

The only thing that comes as a consolation is my steam egg. Dun look fantastic but tasted okay. My soup was superb. I guess I could only cook soupy thing cos this method is used to cook Wenz' s meals everyday.

If u ask me to give a rating for the appearance and taste of the dishes I cooked, I will give 1/10. At least one point for my effort. *crying*

Yet my supportive hubby finished up everything on the plate. 真是難為他了!! From his look, I knew that he didn't wanna hurt me but I'm not going to be beaten by this ordeal. I have made up my mind to learn some basic cooking from mum when she return home and hopefully the next time when I cook again it will leave hubby a different impression, provided he still dare to take up the challenge. Never felt so lousy before. I'm really such a failure and disappointment to be a woman, to be a wife......*sigh*

5th Day - Sunday.....cough got worsen
Mum will be returning back today but night time. Still I have to cook for myself. I cooked pasta as this is the easiest item I know of. Tasted much better than yesterday meal. I'm better in western-style of cooking than Chinese-style.

As my cough did not get any better and was so afraid Wenz might got it from me, I was actually feeling quite relieved mum is returning home. I must admit partly also due to the cooking stress.

When mum got home, her condition was worse than mine. She got 3-in-1 combo meaning headache, a much serious than mine cough and super flu. Aiyo her life is so hard, I notice every time when she rests she will fall ill. Hopefully she recover soon.

The rest of the days will be SAHM with mum around. After the 5 days, I learnt to appreciate my mum even more and love her even more. Hopefully I can be a great mum like her next time; a somebody my children can depend on :)

7 comments:

  1. You can always buy food home, don't need to insist cooking by yourself. Don't feel bad, not every woman can cook well either, I'm one who doesn't cook anyway. Hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dun feel bad, I also started not knowing how to cook as my mom don't cook. I pick up my cooking from my ML bcos her fave son loves her cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do take care my dear... you need to rest more at this stage of your pregnancy... ;) hope you've recovered...

    ReplyDelete
  4. JO: Hey thanks for the comforting words. I'm okay juz feel not fit to be a complete woman.

    HappyMum: At least u know how to cook, my skill really sucks!!

    Mamabliss: Thanks, I oso wish I can get well soon cos my cough is really in a bad state now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dont be dishearten! My mom doesn't cook so I dont have any guidance. I actually learn from scratch following every single instruction on the cookbook. With sure a supportive husband, you sure can make it!! Jia you!

    Btw, Hope you have already recovered! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks thanks for ur encouragement!! I must 拜你為師 when comes to cooking as ur wokking blog is so deliciously updated. I dun even noe the simplest steam egg, luckily got ur blog but the outlook dun look nice as I have beat the egg too much.

    Dun wori, I'll definitely attempt cooking again!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No lah, we exchange cooking tips lah!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...