21 November 2006

The Cat in a Hat

Today is my 1st day of Holiday Program at Zoo-phonics School. This program named "A Week with Dr. Seuss" will stretch over a period of 1 week, with each lesson lasting 1.5 hours.

Dr. Seuss is a famous American writer and cartoonist. He writes many many interesting stories. Today's activities revolve around one of Dr Seuss's story - The Cat in the Hat.


Not knowing what was going to happen, there I was brought to a place called Zoophonics. Well, they dun teach phonics or rather they are not a phonics school. They do provide phonemic awareness activities in their methodology, giving children an opportunity to learn to listen, to distinguish and differentiate, and play with various speech and letter sounds, even before seeing a letter. Okay, enuf of my brief introduction and get back to the lesson.

I was directed to go into the waiting room while the teacher get ready the room for lesson. There I got to play and interact with my classmates.

First 5 minutes was plainly for settling down and drawing about onto paper using baby-safe markers. As today's story is Cat in the Hat, we got to play with many different hats in the first few minutes too!! The lesson started off with teacher playing tunes on her keyboard and singing the welcome song, followed by some stimulating activites and flashing of their zoo-alphabet cards.

Then it was the incorporation of the story-telling time. After the story has ended, it was craft time. Look at my masterpiece!!! Does it look like the one on the book cover?? :)
Soon after doing this piece of my very own "Cat in the Hat", it was yummy snack time. I was given few pieces of animal biscuit and some cereal bites. I dun wanna drink water as usual which is making mummy worried. But I din take all the snacks given, I was busy feeding mummy those bites instead :)

After break time, it was the magical box moment, very much like those magic show u watch on TV whereby the magician pull out items from his hat. This magical moment also like tat one, but the difference was each student got a chance to pull out one item from the hat. I pulled out a fork.

Suddenly the teacher switched off the lights leaving some dim light on in the front for us to see the 'butterfly kites' made by other students. Then we got our chance to do our very own butterflies too!! Swee bo???

Mummy is pleased with the program cos I got really tired after tat and slept for 3 hours. :)

Will tell u more about the next story tmr..........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...